Friday, July 23, 2010

Primary Colors: Staple to Most Logos










Are you picking up what I'm putting down? Lesson for the day: Primary colors. Although I'm sure you already know what these are, let's get a reminder. Primary colors include red, blue, and yellow (cyan, magenta, and yellow to be technically correct).

This week, however, I began looking around at all the common places in my area. I've learned something. Walmart, Target, and McDonald's are just a sliver of all the common large companies who exercise the use of primary colors in their logo presentation. Why is that? Well, after further investigation, I've learned that humans have Trichromatic color vision, meaning that we have the ability to see different colors among three types of color-sensing cone cells. It is the use of different combinations of cone cells (or all three) that enable us to receive and interpret different colors. Interesting, huh? So, our color wheel, complete with primary and secondary colors, was created in light our our eye anatomy.

So, that's probably why some of the most widely know businesses utilize our very basic primary color wheel. Next time you venture out, notice the logos around you. See if you find a pattern as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment